Driving a Car in Retirement Will Soon Be a Thing of the Past by Scott Stolz, CFP, RICP (week 64)
Dr. Joseph Coughlin, the founder and director of the MIT Age
Lab, recently published an article in ReThinking65.com, entitled “The
Retirement Number You Probably Haven’t Calculated For Your Client”, (The
Retirement Number You Probably Haven't Calculated for Your Client, Financial
Planning Articles for Financial Advisors & Wealth Managers). I’m a big believer in putting in strategies
to minimize the financial risks in retirement, hence why I’ve named this blog “retirement
moats”. Therefore, I read Dr. Joe’s article
with great interest. Could there be a
risk I hadn’t considered in my own retirement plan?
The premise of the article is that eventually, most retirees
will no longer be able to drive. That
means there is likely to be a new expense anytime they want to go
somewhere. As Dr. Joe put it, “retirement
planning prices the car, it doesn’t price the driver.”. If you don’t consider the additional expense
of paying someone to take you to the store, the doctor’s office or to dinner,
there could eventually be a substantial hole in your retirement budget.
I’m a big fan of Dr. Joe.
I’ve been following his writings for years and have had the pleasure of
hearing him speak on several occasions.
But this one I think he has wrong.
Actually, just a week ago I would have given his advice serious consideration. But then we had dinner with my
daughter and son-in-law. My son-in-law
had to take some business meetings for his father while his father was out of
town. He decided to borrow his dad’s
Tesla for these meetings. We elected to
use the Tesla to drive us to dinner. And
I mean that literally. This particular
Tesla has the self-driving feature; therefore, it actually did drive us to
dinner. We simply relaxed and enjoyed the
ride. Since this was my first time in a
self-driving car, I was curious to see how the car would perform. Its first real test was when we came to a
roundabout with heavy traffic. This is
often a situation that stresses mere mortals.
Not the Tesla. It waited
patiently for the perfect opening and flawlessly performed. We made the 15 minute drive to the restaurant
in Friday evening traffic without incident.
The ride home was also completed without incident. In fact, given that
everyone had a few glasses of wine at dinner, letting the Tesla drive home was probably
actually the safest option.
The bottom line is that I came away convinced that long
before I get too old to drive, I will have already given this task to whatever
vehicle I have at the time. In fact, I
now firmly believe that my grandchildren will never drive. Driving a car will be as foreign of a concept
to them as riding a horse and buggy is to us.
That does not mean that Dr. Joe’s advice about budgeting to have someone
drive you around is irrelevant. If you
are in your late 70’s or older, this could be a very real financial risk. But for anyone younger than that, technology
will make this risk obsolete in the not-too-distant future.
Well, thankfully with my advanced age I will likely not have to worry about this as I will never be comfortable in a self driving car. I need the security and comfort of my hands on the wheel.
ReplyDelete