I'm Training To Be 80, by Scott Stolz, CFP, RICP (week 55)
My wife and I are prioritizing the more active travel
destinations while we are still in our go-go years. Hence, a trip to the Galapagos islands landed
near the top of the list. While on our
ship we were talking with a woman in her mid-50’s. The conversation came around to working out
and she explained to us that she was training to be age 80. I knew exactly what she meant, because I’m
now doing the same. In my younger years
I worked out to gain more muscle, or prepare for a half-marathon, sprint triathlon
or long bike race. Now my goals are much
more modest. I just want to put off the
slow-go years for as long as possible – hopefully age 80 or later. Oh, and I definitely do not want to become
the guy in softball that gets thrown out at first base by an outfielder because
they know I can barely hit the ball out of the infield and/or I’m struggling to
get to first base. Sadly, I’ve seen it
happen. The day that happens to me will
be my last softball game. In short, at
this stage my goal is simply to put off aging.
I’m certainly far from alone on this. According to a 2025 Pew Research study on
aging, 78% of people age 65 and younger are actively taking steps to improve their
chances of aging well. In addition, most
Americans believe they have some control over how well they age both physically
and mentally (How
Americans Are Thinking About Aging | Pew Research Center)
My wife and I both recently completed a ½ day of longevity
testing at a medical practice that specializes in helping people age well. After drawing enough blood to fill about two
dozen test tubes, there were cognitive, hearing and physical tests. Despite getting a cramp while fruitlessly
trying to touch my hands to my toes, I got a pretty good score card. However, I now have so many supplements and
vitamins, I find myself the “proud” owner of a pill box for the first time in
my life. Fortunately, there were no unpleasant
surprises for either of us. And the
suggestions were as expected:
·
Continue to eat healthy – organic when possible,
less sugar and more fiber (is it really possible to consume 35 grams of fiber
in a day?)
·
Stay physically active
·
Do things to stay mentally engaged (like write a
blog)
·
Drink less alcohol and more water (wine and bourbon are mostly water, right?)
·
Sleep well each night (but apparently passing
out because of the wine and bourbon is not the preferred method)
We all know people that lived into their 90’s without
following any of these suggestions. Just
as we know people that died young despite being the poster child for living a
healthy lifestyle. There’s definitely an
element of luck to living longer. At the
end of the day, I don’t know if taking magnesium and mixing collagen with a
drink each day is really going to make a difference. Nor do I know if I’m hurting myself by
choosing to skip that workout today. And
will it really matter if I consume 20 grams of fiber rather than 35 grams? But when you are training to delay the slow
go years until at least age 80, you do everything you can to tilt the odds in
your favor. So, pass the magnesium and
collagen, add a dose of cod liver oil and open a new bottle of wine (after my
daily workout).
Comments
Post a Comment